Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 16 / 365: Tending the Garden

It was another beautiful day today and we spent a lot of it outside. This day was not for playing though you informed me. Today we must make a list for the garden. You brought out your Strawberry Shortcake notepad and a large, fat purple crayon. Purple was the natural choice because it is your favorite color and therefore superior to the other colors available to you.

You paced up and down the rows, carefully inspecting each plant. You'd squat down, poke at the plant a little, flick at the dirt around it and mumble something that sounded a little too adult in nature about gardening. (I think you've been listening to GeGe too much!) You'd scribble something down on your notepad, documenting that plant. When I asked you what you were writing you'd say things like "this one's got grasshoppers on it" or "this ones getting pretty ripe" or "that ones getting too much sun" and then you'd move down the row to the next flora in the garden.

You also decided that it would be a good idea to expand the garden. You told me you were making a list of things you wanted to plant and walked over to a spot out back where a bunch of tall grass and weeds are behind the barn. You'd point to one side and say "apples go here" and then you'd point to another spot and inform me that "watermelons go there" and then "where should we put the strawberries?!" You had a lot of exciting new ideas for the garden, mostly fruits that you wanted to plant but also asparagus...your favorite veggie! I smiled and nodded, deciding against telling you that some of those things would take a long time to establish.

I'm very glad that your excited about gardening and I hope that you inherit someone else's knack for it...because your mom can't keep a chia pet alive.

No comments: